Follow by Email

Saturday, July 14, 2018

Thomas Mayhew 1593-1682

Thomas Mayhew 1593-1682

Thomas is my 9th great grandfather. He was b. Mar 31, 1593 and then baptized on Apr 1, 1593 in Tisbury, Wiltshire, England. His father was Mathew Mayhew and his mother was Alice Barter.

He married first, Abigail Parkhurst about 1620, who died c. 1633. His second marriage, in 1634, was to Jane Gallion (Galland) Paine. The widow of Thomas Paine, a London merchant. They joined The Great Migration to the colonies in 1632, on the Griffin, and settled first in Medford MA. Later they moved to Watertown MA.

Thomas and Abigail Parkhurst had two sons, Thomas and Robert. With his 2nd wife, Jane, four daughters were born, Hannah, Bethiah, Mary and Martha. Martha is the 7th great grandmother of singer Taylor Swift. Jane also had two children by her 1st marriage with Thomas Paine, Thomas Paine and Jane Paine.

Thomas Mayhew Sr. had received a grant of the islands off the southeast coast of Massachusetts from William, Earl of Sterling and Sir Ferdinand Gorges, as shown by the records in the secretary’s office in Albany NY. Nantucket belonged to NY until 1690. He established the first English settlement on Martha’s Vineyard in 1642. Thomas Sr. removed to Martha’s Vineyard in 1647. His assistant Peter Foulger (Folger) is said to be the grandfather of Benjamin Franklin. To secure his ownership of the islands, Thomas paid William Alexander, 2nd Earl of Sterling, 40 pounds and 2 beaver skin hats. There was a conflicting title with Sir Ferdinand Gorges, who was also paid to clear the ownership.

Thomas’ son, also Thomas (called Jr. here for clarification), who was a minister, established strong and equitable ties with the native population. The Wampanoags were treated with dignity and respect. No land was to be taken from them without their consent or without fair compensation. This was so successful that even during King Phillip’s war, the Wampanoags of the islands did not engage in the conflict. They lived with the colonists in peace and without bloodshed.

The aboriginal name was Noë-pe, where “Noë” means ‘in the middle of’ and “pe” means waters. Thus the name means ‘in the middle of the waters’. They were the Pokanuaket Indians, part of the Algonquian family of many tribes that ranged the northern part of the eastern coast of North America, from Hudson Bay to the warmer regions in the south.

In 1657, Thomas Mayhew Jr. sailed for England to make an appeal for more missionary funds. After leaving Boston, the ship was never heard of again. Thomas Jr. was thirty-six. Thomas Sr. made repeated efforts to find a replacement for his son’s ministry to the Indians. No one knew the language or desired to learn it and live on an island. Thomas Sr., at the age of 60, took over his son’s duties as missionary and continued for the next 25 years, traveling many miles by foot to preach, once a week.

In 1659, the patent for the island was still in the Mayhew’s possession. But during the year the sale of the island was accomplished.  Thomas Mayhew confirmed the sale of the island by giving a deed to Tristram Coffin, Richard Swain, Peter Coffin, Stephen Greenleaf, William Pike, Thomas Macy (cousin to Thomas Mayhew), Thomas Bernard, Christopher Hussey and John Swain, who became the First Governor of Martha’s Vineyard. Thomas Macy is the ancestor of the Macys who founded the dept. store.

Thomas Sr. assumed the title Magistrate and, in general, the Island’s population became dissatisfied with his autocratic ways. In 1671, Thomas was given the title of Governor for Life by the agent for the Duke of York. His reign ended with his death in 1682. At this point, his grandson, Matthew Mayhew, had himself appointed Chief Magistrate and wielded as much power as the Governor had.

My descent is from Thomas Mayhew Jr., who was lost at sea in 1657. His youngest child, Jedidah, married Benjamin Smith, Attorney for Edgartown for the years 1687-1692. Benjamin’s parents were John Smith and Susanna Hinckley. His father was a minister from Dorsetshire, England who arrived in the colonies before 1643. John married Susannah and settled in Sandwich, MA. There they had 13 children, Benjamin being the ninth child. Benjamin died in 1720 and Jedidah in 1736. Their third child, Jedidah Smith, married Rev. Samuel Osborn, who was born in Ireland of Scottish parents. He was the minister at Eastham MA, for nearly 20 years, but was eventually ejected for not being sufficiently Calvinistic.

Jedidah and Samuel Osborn’s daughter, Elizabeth, b. c. 1714, married first William Myrick who died at Louisburg, secondly she married William Paine and thirdly, she married Edmond Doane. They had seven children. In 1761, Edmond, Elizabeth and several of their children left Orleans, MA and sailed from the Nathaniel Mayo Landing in Orleans to Barrington NS. Elizabeth’s father Samuel Osborn, and his 2nd wife, Experience Scudder, also made the voyage to Barrington. Samuel did not resume his minister’s role while there and returned to Boston in 1770. He died there in 1774.

From there the family descends as:

Samuel Osborn and Jedidah Smith
Elizabeth Osborn and Edmond Doane
Abigail Doane and Hezekiah Smith (this man is descended from Ralph                  Smith and is not related to Jedidah Smith’s family.)
Stephen Smith and Elizabeth Spinney
Rachel Smith and Samuel Scarr
Mary Ellen Scarr and Henry Carmichael
Nora Carmichael and Jesse Pye – my grandparents

History of Martha’s Vineyard Vol. 1 by Charles E. Banks, M.D.

Find A Grave

Sunday, May 20, 2018


My last blog was so lengthy I didn't want to add pictures to it. So I'll just add a few here.

Gordon Carmichael, age 32.

Nora Edith Carmichael Pye, around age 18

Final Carmichael Chapters con't.

XIII. Henry Gordon Carmichael (1850-1910) Henry was born in Fisher’s Grant, Pictou, Nova Scotia and, from information found, was the youngest surviving child of Thomson and Barbara. Thomson died in 1861 leaving Barbara with, possibly, 7 children to care for. There seems to be no census available for Barbara Carmichael and her children in 1861 or 1871. None of her older children were available to help support her and she isn’t found among her Hubley relatives. Perhaps this is when she turned to being a mid-wife. Henry Gordon (often called Harry in several documents) was not influenced much by his older male siblings. He had 4 sisters older than him and most of the older brothers had either died or moved away. So he basically grew up in a female household. He married Mary Ellen Scarr in 1873. She was the daughter of Rachel Smith and Samuel Scarr, who was called a ‘coaster.’ This implied that he sailed up and down the coast bringing goods and supplies to various ports. Rachel Smith was a Mayflower descendant, although she probably didn’t know that. Her ancestors left Cape Cod to partake in the free lands given away by King George in the 1750’s-1770’s. Rachel was living in Henry’s household in the 1881 census for Halifax, NS. All of Henry’s and Ellen’s (she used her middle name) children were born in the Halifax NS area. The family, which included six children, were living in Caledonia, Queens, Nova Scotia, in the 1891 census. It didn’t included Henry’s occupation at the time. Henry was still living in NS in the 1901 census, however Ellen was not listed with him. In the 1910 census for Everett MA, Ellen is living with her son Reginald and daughter Ruby. Immigration year was stated as 1900. An interesting statement found on the 1910 census was that Mary Ellen Carmichael had given birth to 11 children but only 6 were living. Two deaths can be accounted for, but only 8 of the 11 children have been found. In 1910, Henry’s and Ellen’s address was 118 Union St., Everett, MA. This address is listed for Henry on his death certificate and Ellen is listed at the same address in the 1910 census. Henry died 4 days before the census was taken. Henry worked at several trades throughout his life. He had been a ship’s chandler, ship and bridge expert, a spike driver and a hotel operator. He died from Phthisis Pulmonalis, better known today as Tuberculosis. He is buried in Woodlawn Cem., Everett, MA.
          The known children of Henry and Mary Ellen Carmichael were:
          A. Percy (1874-1874)       
          B. Nora (1875-1921) m. in 1893 Jesse Pye
          C. Ethel Gertrude (1877-1949) m. in Edward John Ball aka Ted
          D. Minnie (1881-1902) Name was Minerva. She died of Typhoid                      Fever in Chelsea MA; buried in Woodlawn Cem., Everett, MA
          E. Reginald (1884 -1930) m. in 1922 Dorothy O’Donnell
          F. Elizabeth Maud (aka Bessie 1885-1959) m. in 1906 Frank                            Johnson
          G. Grace (1889-?) m. in 1907 Frank Mooney
          H. Ruby Stuart (1894-1950) m. in 1920 Philip Stokes Wood
          I.  Three additional unknown children, at unknown dates, probably                  died as infants.

          B. Nora married Jesse Pye in Halifax, N.S. They were married on June 22 1893 and on June 26 they were listed as passengers on the ship Worcester, from Halifax to the port of Boston. Then, again, on Apr 21 1900, Edith, Ellen, Charlie and Reggie, left Yarmouth on the SS Prince Arthur bound for Boston. The first four children were born in Halifax, NS. After arriving here they settled in Chelsea, MA where Jesse worked at a variety of jobs which included merchant seaman, hard hat diver, longshoreman, ship’s carpenter and others, all connected with shipping, sailing and port enterprises. They lived in Chelsea MA until the Chelsea fired in 1908. They lost most of their belongings and the home they lived in but everyone escaped from the fire. My father was an infant of about 3 mos. old at that time. They resettled in East Boston, MA. In the ensuing years they lived on Morris St., Saratoga St., Falcon St. and in several different homes on West Eagle St. They were living at 54 W. Eagle St. when Nora died from Nephritis and several other complicating illnesses in 1921.  Jesse and Edith are buried in Glenwood Cem., Everett MA. She and Jesse had 15 children:

          1. Ellen Elizabeth (1894-1954) m1. in 1918 James Andrew Brooks,                 2 children; c. 1951 m2. George Lovelace
          2. Charles Gordon (1896-1964) m. in 1915 Helen Johnson, 2                          children
          3. Jesse Budman (1897-1898)
          4. Reginald Lorne Robert (1899-1932)
          5. Minnie Mae (1901-1968) m. in 1924 Samuel Rainey, 3 children
          6. James Douglas (1902-1902)
          7. Gladys Alva (1903-1982) m. in 1922 Alexander Bryce, 5 children
          8. Lester Eugene (1904-1967) m. in 1927 Erma Irene MacFarland,                  3 children
          9. Grace Gertrude (1906-1987) m. in 1939, John Hollander, 2                          children
          10. Jesse Franklin (1908-1983) m. 1930 Ruth Broderick, 3 children
          11. Chester Eben (1909-1949) m. in 1936 Irene Howe, 1 child
          12. Hollis Granville (1912-1912)
          13. Edith Corrine (1913-1979) m. in 1937 Paul O’Brien
          14. Clayton Burleigh (1915-1943) died during a blackout in                                England while serving in the Army in WWII. He is buried in                        the American Military Cemetery in Cambridge England.
          15. Dexter Amory (1917-1961)
Descendants of these siblings are still living, so all will be dealt with in a generalized manner.

          1. Ellen Elizabeth Pye m. first James Brooks, aka Terry. Before                        she was married, she was a Milliner. Until she was married,                        Ellen was called Nell, a nickname she hated. After she                                married, she began using the name Betty, a shortened version                  of her middle name. In 1920 they were living in Saugus MA.                      Terry was a woodworker in Electrical Manufacturing. One                           daughter was born in 1919 and was 8 mos. old. In the 1930                       census, they were living in Winthrop, MA. Another daughter                       had been born and their ages were 11 and 9. Terry was                              the general manager of a retail grocery store. By 1940, Terry                     had passed away. No record could be found for this. Ellen had                   moved to Danvers and was employed as a housekeeper at                       the New England Home for the Deaf-Mute. The oldest                               daughter had married in 1939 and the youngest daughter was                   living in Cambridge with Ellen’s sister, Min, aka Auntie Bobs.                     Ellen remarried again to George Lovelace. No record was                         found for this marriage. Ellen developed breast cancer and                         died in 1954. I was told she is buried in Beverly MA, but no                         death or burial information was found for her or either of her                       husbands.

          2. Charles Gordon Pye m. in 1916 Helen Johnson. Their first child                   was b. in 1918 in Winthrop MA where they lived at 335                               Winthrop St. They had apparently moved as there seems to                       be no 1920 census for them. In 1930, they owned their home                     at 20 Bowdoin St., in Winthrop. Charlie was a salesman for                       DuPont Paint. By 1940 they had moved again  were living at                     71 Centre St., Winthrop, and their 2nd child had been born in                     1934. Charlie was still a salesman for DuPont Paint. They                          were still living at this address when Charlie developed heart                      problems and died in 1964. Helen died in 1966. They are                          both buried in the Winthrop Cemetery.

          3. Jesse Budman Pye was b. in Jan. 1898 in Halifax, Nova Scotia.                   He died there at the age of 7 mos. in Aug 1898.

          4. Reginald Lorne Robert Pye never married. Reg tended to be on                   the sickly side. Family lore says he had heart trouble                                 beginning at a young age. This continued to be an issue for                       him throughout his life. He worked when he could, but often                       was unable to. His 1918 WWI draft registration stated that he                     was still an ‘alien.’ This was signed by “his Mark X” and a note                   saying his right hand was temporarily disabled. My father told                     me that he had been working on the docks, unloading cargo.                     Somehow his hand was caught by a grappling hook, which                         proceeded to lift him off the ground. My father was only 10                         when this happened so it can’t be said how accurate it is. Reg                   died in 1932 at the age of 32 from heart problems. He is                             buried in Glenwood Cemetery in Everett, MA.

          5. Minnie Mae Pye m. in 1924 Samuel Rainey who was born in                         Armagh, N. Ireland. Before her marriage, she had been a                           Milliner. By 1930 they owned their own home at 190 Florence                     Ave. in Arlington, MA and had two children. Sam was a                               Manager at a retail grocery store. The 1940 census shows                         another child had been born in 1934, the family now lived at                       196 Calhoun Ave. in Everett, MA. Min was an extremely funny                   lady. She would say and do the most outlandish things. Her                       humor was often irreverent, but always comical. Sam’s                               occupation was listed as a machinist in a machine shop. Min                     died in 1968 of a stroke and Sam died in 1977 of                                         arteriosclerosis.

          6. James Douglas Pye 1902-1902, born and died in Chelsea MA.                     Buried in Glenwood Cemetery, Everett MA.

          7. Gladys Alva Pye m. in 1922 Alexander Bryce, who was born in                 Scotland. The 1930 census states that the first three children,                    all girls, were born in MA. It also shows they were living on                        Paoli Rd. in Newtown, Delaware Co., PA. Alex was the                              Superintendent of a golf course; his immigration date was                          1912. In the 1940 census, Alex was a Sup’t. of a Country Club,                  two more children had been born, both sons and the family                        was living at 208 West 37th St. in Wilmington, New Castle Co.,                  Delaware. Of the five sisters, Gladys was the quiet one,                              ladylike and religious. She never had mean words for anyone                    and always looked at the bright side of things. She was the                        only sister who had the Indian look, dark hair, dark, tilted eyes                    and ruddy complexion. Alex died in 1955, at Memorial hosp.,                      Wilmington, DE, from colon cancer. He is buried in Mount                          Hope Cemetery, Boston, MA. Gladys died in Wilmington DE,                     1982, from breast cancer. She is buried in Silverbrook                                Cemetery, New Castle Co., DE.

          8. Lester Eugene Pye m. in 1927 Erma Irene (known as Irene)                         MacFarland. In 1930 they owned their home at 20 Hunt Ave.,                    Weymouth MA. Lester was an Assistant Secretary at an                             Insurance Co. They had one daughter, not quite two years old.                   Lester took singing lessons as a youngster and continued to                     sing with a Choral group in Boston for some years. It was said                   he was good enough to be a professional singer. By 1940, two                   more children had been added to the family and had moved to                   5 Andrew St. in Malden MA. Lester was an Insurance Agent                       for Fire Insurance. Lester died in 1967 in Los Angeles, CA.                         Irene died in 1988 in Kingston NH.

          9. Grace Gertrude Pye m. in 1939 John Emil Hollander, in East                        Boston MA. Grace had assumed the duties of raising the                            younger children after their mother died. On her death bed her                  mother had asked her to take care of her baby, who, at that                        time, was Dexter. The other sisters and brothers pitched in                        when they could, but with jobs and families of their own, it                          mostly fell to Grace. In 1930 she was living at 42 West Eagle                    St., East Boston with her father, Jesse, older brother Reg,                          younger sister Ede and three younger brothers Chet, Claytie                      and Dexte aka Deck. By this time her father was an invalid,                        having sustained a leg injury while working on the docks. The                    leg didn’t heal and he was in the hospital for many weeks.                          They were all working except for Jesse and the two youngest                    boys. In 1940, Grace and John were living with John’s parents,                  Emil and Helma Hollander. Both of John’s parents were born in                  Finland (which was part of Russia at that time). John was an                      iron worker at the US Navy Yard. John continued to work for                      the US Navy, as a civilian, in various capacities, for most of his                  life. Unfortunately, his work exposed him to asbestos at a time                  when little was known about its affects on people. He died in                      1974 from lung cancer. Grace and John had two children.                          Grace died in 1987 from breast cancer.

          10. Jesse Franklin Pye m. in 1930 Ruth Broderick Pye of Winthrop                    MA. Jesse went by the name Frank all his life. He isn’t found                      in the 1930   census probably due to moving at about the time                    the census was taken. He was working in a grocery store in                     Winthrop and living with his brother Charlie, just before he                         married. Due to the Depression, jobs were hard to find so he                     and Ruth moved in with her parents. Ruth’s brother-in-law                         worked for International Harvester Co. and through him, Frank                   was able to secure work at the IH Boston office. They bought                     a house at 2 Maple Rd. in Winthrop and now Ruth’s parents                      moved in with them. By the mid-40’s they had three daughters.                  Frank made a career move to western NY state to run an                          International Harvester dealership. When IH started closing                        down many of their dealerships, Frank eventually became                          head auditor at First Federal Savings and Loan in Rochester                      NY. He retired from there in the 70’s. Ruth had been an                              elementary school secretary, to the principal, in Brockport NY                    for quite a few years. They headed to Largo FL where they had                  many activities and friends to share sunny days and happy                        times. Frank died from colon cancer which metastasized to his                  lungs in 1983. He is buried in the Rose Garden of St. John’s                      Episcopal Church in Largo, FL. Ruth moved to Birmingham AL                  with her daughter, Jeanne. She died there at the age of 95 in                    2002. She is buried in the Broderick grave in Winthrop                                Cemetery, Winthrop MA.

          11. Chester Eben Pye (aka Chet) m. in 1936 Irene Howe in East                       Boston, MA. By 1940, Chet was a Press Operator. They had                     one daughter. Chet was noted for his ability to play several                         instruments, by ear. It was said he could hear a song once,                       then sit at a piano and play that song, using both hands on                         the keys. At some time in the ‘40’s they moved to Waltham                         MA. Chet developed very high blood pressure, which didn’t                       seem to be controlled by medication. Unfortunately, Chet died                   in 1949, just before his 40th birthday. He is buried with his                           brother Reg in Glenwood Cem., Everett, MA.

          12. Hollis Granville Pye – 1912-1912. Hollis died from pneumonia                       at the age of 3 mos. He is buried in Glenwood Cemetery,                           Everett, MA.

          13. Edith Corrine Pye m. c. 1937 Paul O’Brien. By 1940 they lived                     at 268 River St. in Cambridge MA. They had two children.                         Paul’s occupation was listed as Household Furnishings.                             Eventually, Paul would be employed by Polaroid, where he                         remained until retirement. At some point, they moved to                             South Weymouth, MA. Ede was known for her sense of                             humor, one-liners and spontaneous delivery. A casual                                 conversation with her could have everyone in tears from                             laughing so hard and trying to catch your breath. Quite                               frankly, I’ve never met another person quite like her, with the                     ability to reduce people to roars of laughter with a straight                           face and go on as though no one was reacting at all. She                           was amazing. We lost Ede in 1979 to heart failure and some                     other complications. Paul died in 1977.

          14. Clayton Burleigh Pye – Clayton never married although he was                    engaged. He joined the Army in 1942 and was sent to                               England. He was a Pfc. in the 819th Engineers Battalion                             Aviation. During an air raid in June 1943, he was killed at the                     age of 27. He is buried in the American Memorial Cemetery                       in Cambridge England.

          15. Dexter Amory Pye (aka Deck) - Never married either. He too                        entered the Army in 1942. His work experience as a cook                          kept him stateside, where he was a cook for the Army. He                          and brother Claytie had been very close. Deck was described                    as being dark, like his sister, Gladys, another throwback to                        the Inuit ancestry. Deck took his brother’s death very hard                          and drifted away from the family. He lived a solitary life and                        may have had a partner later on. He continued to be a                               cook/chef at various restaurants in Boston. Deck was a heavy                   smoker. He died in his sleep, in Boston, in 1961 at the age of                     43. As per his request, he was cremated and his ashes were                     scattered at sea.

Here endeth the volume on the descendants of immigrant Francis Carmichael.

Find A Grave

Canadian Census Records

US Federal Census Records

Birth, death and marriages records

WWI and WWII Draft Registrations

Mechanical Dentistry by Charles Hunter 1882

American Battle Monuments Commission

Final Carmichael Chapters

Returning to Thomson and Barbara Hubley:  The final chapters

XI. Mary Jane Carmichael (1847-1894) m. in 1875 at Jordan River, NS, Thomas D. Hardy. In 1881, they were living at Jordan River, Shelburne, NS with Thomas’ father, Richard, who was 80, English, a Baptist and a farmer. Thomas was also a farmer and Mary was listed a tailoress. They had three children, Nellie, Maggie and Stillman. Also living with this family was Barbara Hubley Carmichael, 75, Mary Jane’s mother and a widow. In 1891, Thomas and Mary were still living on the same farm. Barbara H. Carmichael had died in 1881 and Richard Hardy had died in 1889. Thomas and Mary had these children:

          1. Nellie – She was born in 1870, 5 years before Mary Jane and Thomas were married. It is believed she was born to Thomas and an unknown woman who was probably his first wife. No marriage or birth record was found for this possibility, so it remains speculation until some sort of documentation can be found. It appears that this might be the Nellie Hardy who married Reuben Young in Nova Scotia in 1914. No further info.
          2. Margaret (Maggie) (1878-1975) Margaret appears as Maggie in the 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 as still living in her father’s
home. In 1920 she appears in Somerville MA
Mary Jane Carmichael Hardy

living with her cousin Edna Gordon Sewall as a servant. There seems to be no record of her for 1930 or 1940 that is available.
          3. Stillman Archibald (1880-1973) m. in 1906 Lena E. Smith at Jordan River, NS. She was from Jordan River also. In fact her family and Stillman’s are all on the same census page in 1881. They appear in the 1910 census for Somerville, MA. At that time they had a daughter, Mary, age 2. Stillman’s occupation was recorded as a cable splicer for New England Tel. & Tel. Stillman and Lena had two more daughters, both stillborn, one in 1913 and one in 1914.
Stillman became a naturalized citizen in 1917 and Lena also became a citizen by virtue of her husband’s status. He signed for WWI draft in 1918. This registration states that he lived at 43 Josephine Ave. in Somerville, worked for New England Tel. & Tel. in Roxbury, MA, and that he was tall, of medium build with gray eyes and brown hair. In 1920 they were still at the same address in Somerville MA and Stillman still had the same occupation. By 1930 they had moved to 82 Scituate St. in Arlington MA. Stillman had become a Foreman for the phone co. and Mary, age 22, was still at home, employed as a secretary at a lumber co. The 1940 census shows Stillman and Lena were still on Scituate St., he is a Cable Foreman and Mary is no longer living with them. A death record for Stillman was found, reported by SSDI for 1973. It is unclear if he died in Canada or USA.  No record was found for Lena.
          4. Arthur  (1882-1916) Arthur and his wife Agnes were living with his father Thomas in Jordan River, NS in the 1911 cen.  Agnes was b. in Dorchester, MA, nee Russell. They were married in 1909 in Somerville, MA. They were both called Mechanical Dentists. At the time of their marriage, Arthur was living with his brother Stillman and Agnes was living in Melrose, MA. A quick explanation, their occupation was in the making and manufacturing of false teeth, partial plates, etc. By 1911, Arthur was back in Shelburne, NS with his wife, living with his father and sisters, Margaret and Ruby. Arthur died in 1916 from TB. There is a death record for Agnes R. Hardie for 1916 and the same location where she had been living. There is no other identifying information to establish that this person was Arthur’s wife. It appears they had no children.
          5. Ruby (1887-?) Ruby appears in the census report through 1911 but after that, nothing seems to be known about her whereabouts in Canada or in the States.

XII. Barbara Carmichael (1851-?) No information found

Saturday, April 7, 2018

Carmichaels - Final Chapters continued

Returning to Thomson and Barbara Hubley decent…

          VII. Daniel Carmichael, s/o Thomson and Elizabeth Barbara Hubley (1837-?) No further info
          VIII. Charles Carmichael (1839-1846) He was b. in Springhill, Cumberland Co. NS and died in Little Harbor, Bridgewater, Lunenburg, NS.

          IX. Christine Isabella Carmichael (1842-1920) She was b. in New Glasgow, Pictou, NS and was called Isabel. In 1870 she married Robert Gordon in Hantsport, Hants, NS. They must have moved almost immediately to Boston as their first child was born there in 1871. In the 1880 census, they are living in Revere, MA, at 116 Harris St. They already have 6 children. Robert died on Apr. 2 1882 from a fractured skull. He was a carpenter and it can be surmised that he was injured on the job. This left Isabel with 6 children and pregnant. The last child would be born in Aug of 1882. The oldest child, Thomas, was only 10 years old so it is not difficult to imagine the hardship Isabel must have faced at that time and for the next decade or so. She is next found in the 1900 census, living with six of the seven children. Her oldest daughter, Mabel has married and it appears that she lived in a flat in the same house. They all are living and renting a house at 12 Hyde St. in Revere. All of the male children are working. In 1910, Isabel was living with two of her sons, Clarence and Robert. The census incorrectly states Clarence’s age as 24, which would mean he had been born 4 years after his father’s death. He was actually 32. They lived at 412 Beach St., Revere. In 1920, Isabel was still living with Clarence who was age 42, and a steel worker at Boston Iron Co. The 1920 census was taken in Jan. and Isabel died on Apr 15 1920 from diabetes. She was buried in Woodlawn Cem. in Everett, MA.

                               Christine Isabel Carmichael Gordon

Robert and Isabel’s children were:
          A. Thomas Henry Gordon (1871-?) m. in 1910 Anna Schmeder. They had one daughter, Eva, b. 1910. In 1920 they were living in Malden MA. No further into.
          B. Mable Florence Gordon (1873-aft 1940) m. in 1897 J. Bernard Marshall. Her birth certificate says her name is Mabel Maud yet the 1880 census says her name is Mabel Florence. In 1900 she had one         son, Arthur, age 2. Bernard’s older brother, Hughbert, (sic) was also part of their household. They were all living at 162 Centenniel St., Revere MA with Mabel’s widowed mother. In the 1910 census, they were living at 17 Barrett St. in Revere. They have Arthur age 11, Hazel, age 4 and Bernard’s brother, now a widow, was still living with them. In 1911 Arthur died from Meningitis. By 1920, they had moved to 12 Hyde St. Mabel’s family has a new daughter, Ruth, age 4 and Hazel was age 14. At the same address are her brother Clarence and mother, Isabell, her sister Eva Van Sicklin and her niece, 16 year old Mabel De Laite (from mother’s 1st marriage). In 1930 they lived at 48 Woodrow Ave. in Medford MA,        Bernard was a Policeman, Hazel was 24 and a stenographer and Ruth was 14 and still in school. In 1940, Hazel was living in Medford MA. She was age 34 and a widow with two children, George, age 6 and Gay, age 5.  Through various other documents, it was discovered that she had been married to George Albert Bonney, who died in 1936 at the age of 31. Her mother, Mabel is living with her. Hazel worked as a secretary for a clergyman. Find a Grave has information on her that she married again and her name became Foster. She died Jan. 1 1998 in Whittier, Los Angeles CA.
          C. William Wallace (1874-?) In 1900, William was still living with his  mother and brothers in Revere. By 1902, he married Faustina Davis     Russell. In another record she was referred to as Eveleen Faustina Davis Russell. Faustina was used most frequently so will be used here. A death certificate for a stillborn male child was recorded in 1907 for William and Faustina. In 1910 they were living at 300 Broadway St., Revere, MA which is now mostly commercial and they had a daughter, Eva, age 5. Living in the same house, but a different flat, was his younger sister, Eva De Laitte who also had a young daughter, Mabel, age 7. William’s occupation was Foreman on the Railroad. In 1920, they lived at 11 Eaton St.,William was still a Foreman on the Railroad and there were 7                children living at home. 1930 showed a move to 32 Fifth St. in Medford MA and a change in occupation to Grocery Store Manager. There were now 9 children living with their parents. Three of the oldest were of working age and were employed. In 1940, there are 6 unmarried children still at home. Daughter, Dorothy has married Walter Chapman and they are also living in William’s household. The youngest two children, Robert and Bruce are still in school, all others are employed. Additional information found on this family was – Walsworth (1912-?) married Viola Everett and also lived in Medford, MA; Russell D. (1916-2009) married Grace Little. He was living in Stoneham MA when he died.
          D. Ethel Gertrude (1876-1955) m. in 1900 Arthur Ashgrove Burgess. He was a traveling salesman for an oil supply company. They had three children, John Gordon Burgess, b. 1903 in Somerville, MA.        The only info found on him was the 1940 census where he was a             patient in a military hospital in Pinellas Co., FL.; Marion Viola                  Burgess was b. 1904 in Revere, MA. She was found in the 1920              census still living with her parents.; Arthur A. Burgess, Jr. was b. in            Watertown MA in 1913.
          E. Clarence D. (1878-1959) Clarence remained living with his mother until her death in 1920. They lived at 12 Hyde St. in Revere, MA. Also living with them w3as his sister Eva Van Sicklin and her daughter      from her first marriage, Mabel De Laite. She was age 16 in 1920.        Clarence was a tinsmith and Eva was a milliner in a dry goods store. Clarence married Jessie Leighton shortly after his mother died. They moved to 161 Sheridan St. in Medford MA. Jessie’s father, George Leighton, age 69, lived with them. Clarence was a sheet metal worker at an engineering co. In 1940, Clarence was still a sheet metal worker but for a roofing co. His wife and his father-in-la are still living with him at the same address as the 1930 census. Clarence’s WWII draft reg. In 1942 shows he was still at the same address and still working at the same occupation. There was apparently noi issue from this marriage. Clarence died in 1959 and was buried in Puritan Lawn Cem., Peabody MA.
          F. Eva Viola (1879-?) m. Willis De Laite in Nova Scotia in 1901. She was listed in the 1910 census for Revere MA. Her husband was not listed. The writing on the entry is such that it’s hard to determine if   she was a widow. She has a 7 year old daughter, Mabel. In 1913              she married Willis Van Sicklin. The marriage record indicates she              was divorced and he was a widow. {Both of her husbands were named Willis. Birth record for daughter and marriage record for 2nd  marriage confirm.} In 1920, Eva and her daughter are living with her mother and brother Clarence in Revere, MA, While Willis is found in West Springfield working as a welder on the Railroad (RR not named). In 1930 they were living at 868 Main St. East Hartford, CT. Willis’ occupation was in advertising and Eva was a piano teacher. The 1940 census shows Eva living in Somerville, MA, a widow, renting out rooms on 333 Highland Ave. Mabel De Laite married on Apr 10 1920 in Chelsea MA. The marriage record states she is age 22, when, according to the birth records, she was 6 weeks shy of her 17th birthday. She married Nicholas Coeloch.
          G. Robert  (1882-) Robert was still living with his brother Clarence in 1910. There is a birth record for Kenneth Wallace Gordon dated May 13 1913. His mother was listed as Bessie Tillden from Tolland CT. No       marriage record has been found in CT or MA for them. In 1918 his            WWI draft reg. listed 711 White St. Springfield MA as his address. He was a traveling salesman. In 1920 they were living at 881 Belmont Avenue, Springfield MA and were renting rooms to three boarders. Their son, Kenneth, was age 6 and Robert is still a traveling salesman for a Grocer. By 1930 they were living at 119 Brunswick St., still in Springfield. Robert’s occupation was the same but Bessie is shown as owning Forest Park Taxi Co. Bessie shows no occupation in the 1940 census, Robert is still a salesman and their son Kenneth who was 26, was an attendant at the State Hospital. No death records were found on this family.

                     A postcard from early days of Revere Beach, MA. 
                      This was the first public beach in the USA.

          X. Hannah Carmichael (1845-1937) m. in 1872 to Thomas Gordon, bro/o Robert Gordon, husband of her sister Christine Isabel. In 1880, they were living in Wollaston MA, a part of Quincy. Thomas was a carpenter. They had two children, Bessie May, age 6, and Jennie L., age 4 ½. By 1900 they had moved to Somerville and owned their home at 10 Locke St. Two more children Lottie and Edna have been added to the family and Thomas was listed as a house builder.
          Their children were:
                    A. Bessie May (1874-?)
                    B. Jennie Louise (1875-?)
                    C. Emma (1878-?)
                    D. Lottie Edith (1880-?)
                    E. Edward (1883-1883)
                    F. Edna Florence (1886-?)

In 1910, Edna was the only child still at home. Their address was still 10 Locke St., but it was considered part of Cambridge in this census. In 1920, Thomas was age 77, Hannah was age 76, still listed at the same address but once, again it is in the census for Somerville. There were no children living at home.

          A. Bessie May Gordon married Frank Bigelow Crockett in 1906. He was an automobile salesman living in Somerville but was from Auburn ME. In 1907 their first child, David was born, soon followed by Thomas in 1909. They lived at 8 Cherry St. in Somerville in the 1910 census and had a servant, May Vickerson, age 22. By 1920 they had moved to 11 Willow Ave. Frank is listed as a clerk for Government Ordnance. The 1930 shows they own their home at 11 Willow Ave. in Somerville. The two boys are living at home and it shows they had attend school or college within the last year. Frank was an Automobile Services Manager. No further information.

          Their children:         David (1907-?)
                                        Thomas (1909-?)

          B. Jennie Louise Gordon married, in 1903, Harry Marshall. She went by the name Louise and is reported in the censuses as such. In 1904 Helen Marshall was born and in 1909 Marion Marshall joined the family. In 1910 they were living at 7 Hall Ave. in Somerville MA. Harry was a bookkeeper at a bank.
Harry’s 1918 draft registration says they had moved to 62 Hall Ave. in Somerville and that his occupation was banking with Old Colony Trust Co. The 1920 census shows no changes in address or occupation since 1918. In the 1930 census they had moved to 24 Liberty Ave. in Somerville and Harry was listed as a Vaults Manager in a bank. Both daughters were still at home. Helen had no occupation listed; Marion was a stenographer for an insurance co. The 1940 census show Louise’s father, Thomas, age 98, was living with them at 110 Walker (or possibly Walden) St. in Somerville. Both Louise and Harry were age 64. No further information.

          Their children:         Helen (1904-?)
                                        Marian (1909-?)

          C. Emma (1878-1878 stillborn)

          D. Lottie Edith (1880-?) At the time of their wedding in 1905, Lottie was a stenographer and her husband, Henry Merrill, was a Dentist. In 1910, they were living at 417 Highland Ave. in Somerville, MA with two children, Margaret and Gordon. By 1920, they had moved to 45 Robbins Rd., in Arlington, MA, had two more children, Edward and Herbert and Henry’s mother, Emma Merrill, was a widow living with them also. It states that Henry had his own Dental practice. In 1930, Margaret had moved out but the three sons and Henry’s mother were all still living together. They had moved to 51 Robbins Rd., in Arlington. Gordon has gone from the home by 1940, but Margaret has returned with her husband Richard Burnham. They had no children at the time of the census. The younger two sons still lived with the family. Richard Burnham’s occupation was a Retailer in Furs. In 1941, their son, Edward, signed for the draft in Seattle , WA. He had 4 years of college, majoring in Forestry Services. He late married Margaret Unknown. He was living on Agawam Point Rd., Falmouth, MA in 1998 when he died. He is buried in Puritan Lawn Cem., Peabody MA. Henry’s 1942 WWII draft reg. states his Dental Office was at 8 Newbury St. in Boston MA. No further information.

          Their children:         Margaret (1907-?)
                                        Gordon (1908-?)
                                        Edward (1913-1998)
                                        Herbert (1914-?)

          E. Edward (1883-1883) lived for 2 days.

          F. Edna Florence (1886-?) In 1910, Edna, age 22, was living with her parents at 10 Locke St. in Somerville, MA. Her occupation was listed as teacher. She married in 1915, Edgar Floyd Sewall, a physician from Newburg, Maine. In Edgar’s 1918 WWI Draft Reg. he stated that he lived at 281 Broadway in Somerville, that he was a Doctor and had his own business in his home. He also indicated that he was tall and stout. By 1920, they had two children, Edgar jr., age 4, and Barbara, age 3. They were living at 380 Broadway St. in Somerville. Margaret Harding, age 40, from Nova Scotia, a cousin of Edna, was living at their home as a servant. The 1930 census shows no differences except Margaret Harding is no longer there. They have a new, younger servant in her place. 1940 shows no differences, except, once again, they have a different maid. Edgar’s 1942 WWII Draft Reg. shows his age as 56 but no changes to residence or occupation. No further information.

          Their children:       Edgar Floyd jr. (1916-?)
                                        Barbara (1917-?)

Find A Grave

Canadian Census Records

US Federal Census Records

Birth, death and marriages records

WWI and WWII Draft Registrations

Friday, April 6, 2018

Francis and Elizabeth Keillor Carmichael Expanded The Final Chapters

Thomson (Thompson) and Barbara Hubley Carmichael - The rest of the family, however it looks like this will be in three segments. there was so much information, I wanted to include as much of it as I could.

          VI. Alexander Francis (1835-1927) m. in 1867 Ellen Dillon both of Middle River, NS. They were married in the Roman Catholic Church in Albion Mines, Pictou Co., NS. The obit. in the 1927 Mendocino CA newspaper states he was b. in Cambridge MA. There is no record of Thomson and his wife being in MA when Alexander was born.  All the rest of their children were born at various locations in Pictou Co. It seems reasonable to think Alexander was born in Nova Scotia as well. However, he did go to Medway MA, where most of his children were born. His son Thomas was born there in 1868.

{My note} I believe Alexander may have simply found it easier to say he was born in the USA. In the late 1800’s, there would be virtually no way of proving or disproving his birth. Many times a child’s birth didn’t get recorded immediately and families were on the move, resettling in so many new places. It would be an easy thing to get away with. There was also another Alexander and the two may have bee confused with each other.

His wife’s father was Thomas Dillon b. in 1792 in Ireland. He was a farmer in Pictou Co., NS.

It’s rather difficult to follow all of Alexander’s movements. His son, Thomas, was born in MA in 1868. The next child, James was born in NS in 1869. In the 1871 Canadian cen. Alexander’s occupation was listed as Stock Raiser. Then his third child, Matthew, was born in MA in 1871. This clearly shows he was out of Nova Scotia by the end of 1871. He went to CA, May 17 1877 and lived at Orr's Hot Springs. His last two children were born in CA. By the 1880 Federal cen., they had 5 children (2 had died) and his occupation was still a Stock Raiser. Interestingly, there are two 1880 Fed. census reports for him in two different locations. This possibly happened because he moved in between the dates of the two census reports. One of the 1880 censuses finds his name spelled Carmikel. His 1880 CA voter registration says he was living in Big River, Mendocino. Then in 1882, he went to Medocino (possibly the city). In 1884 he moved to Fort Bragg and worked as a carpenter on the new settlement.  He was an architect, who built many Victorian styled homes in Mendocino, CA. Some of these homes were used to depict the Maine village on “Murder She Wrote” (TV program). The 1900 census for Calpella Township, Mendocino Co., CA is blurred and nearly unreadable. He was still a carpenter. Also in the 1900 census, Ellen’s brother, Matthew Dillon is living with them. He was age 74. Three of their children live with them James, age 30, Elizabeth age 27, and Laura age 25. There are two granddaughters living with them as well, Gladys age 7 and Lillian age 4, both named Carmichael. They are the children of their son, Thomas.

His wife, Ellon (sic.) died in 1922 (Jan. 30).  Two sons: Thomas Carmichael of Fort Bragg and James A. Carmichael of Ukiah;  3 daughters - Laura, Mrs. Walter Mack of Willits and Mrs. Jack Gibson of Ukiah, survived.  There was also a sister in MA.

Their children were:
          A. Thomas (1868-1941)
          B. James Alexander (1869-1940)
          C. Matthew (1871-1885)
          D. Elizabeth Ellen (1873-1922)
          E. Laura (1875-1967)
          F. Unnamed Female (aft 1877- aft 1877)
          G. Matilda (1879-?)

It seems that Alexander and family stayed in the Mendocino County area. They were in Big River, Ten Mile River, Fort Bragg and other places. There were huge logging operations in that county starting in the 1860’s. Families lived in the logging camps, children went to school and jobs ranged from cooks to sawyers.

          A. Thomas (1868-1941) was married twice. His first wife was Lydia Bell Hall, whom he married in 1892. They had two daughters, Gladys and Lillian. They were divorced in 1902. Thomas married again in 1903 to Selma Hentila, an immigrant from Finland. They had 6 children. The 1900 census shows Thomas’ two girls from his first marriage living with his parents Alexander and Ellon in Calpella Township, Mendocino, CA and Thomas living in Big River Twnshp, Mendocino Co., CA. In 1910, Gladys was 15 and Lillian was 13, both still living with their grandparents, Alexander and Ellon, but they are now in Ukiah, Mendocino, CA. Gladys was b. in 1893 so her age is incorrect in the 1910 census. It should have stated that she was 17. In 1911 there was an affadavit for a marriage license for Gladys Marjorie Carmichael, age 18 of Orrs and Sydney Nathaniel Brines of Ukiah age 22. Lillian married William Sagart in 1926. There is a family story about two of Thomas’ daughter having died violent deaths. Unfortunately, this story doesn’t seem to get things quite right. Lillian lived until 1968 and is buried in Rose Park Cem. in Fort Bragg, CA. The story goes on to say one daughter was found murdered on the beach, didn’t say which daughter or which beach. The other daughter was killed by a child molester. Since Lillian lived to age 72, this obviously doesn’t apply to her. Perhaps it was Gladys who was murdered on the beach. This ‘legend’ came from an aunt who visited the Carmichaels several times. I don’t doubt the story, but wish for more details. Perhaps Thomas lost a child from his 2nd marriage and the stories have become mixed. I am still pursuing this.
          The children of Thomas and Selma Hentila Carmichael were:

1.     Ellon (1908-1996) m. c 1936 Vernon Reginald Sogard
2.     Sophia (1909-1959) m. in 1938 Reid Titus
3.     Daisy (1914-1971) m.1 Charles Sorola; m. 2 Elisha Bowman; m.3 Unknown O’Brien
4.     Elizabeth (1917-1992) Spinster
5.     Frederick (1924-2007) Bachelor; worked in the movie industry
6.     Archibald (1926-2000) m. in 1946  Evelyn DePriest – 4 children

          B. James Alexander (1869-1940) m. in 1900 to Margaret Jennie (Jane) Cameron of Cuffey’s Bay CA. James was a house carpenter and over the years lived at several different locations on Oak St. in Ukiah, CA. They had 11 children; one child died in infancy. They were:
1.     James A. jr. (1903- aft 1940) In the 1940 census for Ukiah, James was, single, age 37 and living with his widowed mother Margaret. He was a general laborer.
2.     Vivian (1905-?)
3.     Peter (1907-1988)
4.     William Henry (1909-1942)
5.     Margaret (1913-?)
6.     Francis (1915-?)
7.     George (1915-?)
8.     Thomas (1919-1986)
9.     Edward (1922-?)
10. Donald Eugene (1924-1987)

Once research hits the 1940 census, there is not a lot more available. Occasionally, some states do have death records and Social Security death info. CA is not overly generous with their information, so I have little more on the James Alexander Carmichael family. Some descendants could still be alive and that info would not be included here regardless.

          C. Elizabeth Ellen Carmichael (1873-1961) m. in 1907 Walter Mack
In the 1910 census they were living in Big River, Mendocino, CA. Walter’s two children from a previous marriage, Inez age 13 and Walter age 12, were living with them. Their first child, Laura, was age 1. Walter Mack was a rancher and owned his own property. By 1920, they were living in Little Lake, Mendocino, CA and Walter was still owner of a ranch. His son Walter (jr.) was 21 and worked as a rancher on his father’s property. Inez, was 23 and worked as a bookkeeper. Three more children had been added to the family, Myrtle age 8, Billy age 7 and Tom age 5.  They were living in Willits Town, Mendocino, CA by 1930 and Walter appears to be a farm laborer, rather than an owner. The two youngest boys were living with them. In 1930, their oldest daughter, Laura, is shown living with a man named Harry Woolley, who calls her his niece. He was a carpenter and she was a waitress in a lunch room. He was age 55 and she was age 21. In 1931, they were married. He had been married to a woman named Lottie Hall and they had three children, Harold, Flossie and Ort. All three were older than Laura. In the 1940 census, they apparently had no children but living with them was Laura’s Aunt Laura Carmichael, her mother’s sister. Interestingly, I can find no references to any of the Macks for 1940. I did find three different William Mack’s who were all prisoners of war in three different places. 
          The children were:
                    1. Laura (1909-2005) see above
                    2. Myrtle (1912-?)
                    3. Billie (1913-?)
                    4. Tom (1915-?)

There are dozen of people with the name Tom Mack. The info I found did not provide enough descriptive data to determine if any one of them was the Tom from this marriage.

          D. Laura Carmichael  (1875-1967) Laura apparently never married, at least I was unable to find any marriage records for her. In the 1940 she was living with her niece, Laura Mack, d/o her sister Elizabeth E. Carmichael Mack, in Cloverdale, Sonoma, CA. It says she was living in San Francisco CA in 1935. She was living in Glenn, CA at the time of her death in 1967.

          E. Unnamed Female Carmichael (1877- aft.1877) Could find no records for this birth and/or death.

          F. Matilda Carmichael (1879-?) In Nov 1899, Matilda, AKA Tillie, was married to Robert Body in San Francisco. The marriage certificate states that Matilda lived in Hot Springs, CA. Her father was one of the witnesses, also of Hot Springs. She and Robert had three daughters who were living with her parents in 1910, in Ukiah CA. They were Ethel, age 9, Muriel, age 8, and Frances, age 5.
Sometime before 1914, Matilda and Robert divorced and she married Roy Lyndall Kellogg. I couldn’t find any census records for them. Matilda died in 1951 at which time she was married to John A. Gibson. I’ve been unable to find death or divorce records for Roy Kellogg or a marriage record for Matilda and John. John died in 1953. Both he and Matilda are buried in the Ukiah Cem., Ukiah CA.

Alexander and his wife Ellon on the right. Matilda in front. Unfortunately, I don't know which name goes to the two men or the two remaining women.

Find A Grave

Canadian Census Records

US Federal Census Records

California Voter Registrations

Birth, death and marriages records

WWI and WWII Draft Registrations